Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What is love?

One of the most difficult things about having a child who cannot communicate is that you can never be certain what they are feeling.  When are they happy?  When are they sad?  Do they get angry?  The one emotion that I think I can safely say any special needs parent would feel confident in attributing to their child, no matter what the level of ability, is LOVE.  Even if your child will never function beyond a newborn level (as is the case with Anabelle), the ability to love is an ingrained instinct that cannot be denied.

“Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were here an hour I would die for you.” – Hawkins


The same passion that binds a new parent to their child works the other way, as well.  Anabelle spends almost as much time with her day nurse as she does with me, yet she still turns her head and smiles wide when she hears me start to talk to her.  She is my child and I am her mother, and it is nothing she has to learn.  She extends that love to everyone and everything around her that makes her happy.  It is nothing but pure, good, real LOVE, and it is why it is so easy for EVERYONE to love her in return...


Listening to the baby doll sing

Sissy Love

Late night with Mommy

Sissy + beanbag chair = Heaven for Anabelle

Family sing-a-long

I love my glowworm!

V-Day love

One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life. That word is love. —

Sophocles

2 comments:

  1. Annabelle is surely a true expression of LOVE. Nicely written Kate-as usual!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazing child and story. Sending my love to your family.

    ReplyDelete